Eugene Public Library updates rules for visitors’ behavior. (Eugene Register-Guard, 3/8/2014)
A breakdown of the offenses. Last year, 208 users were restricted from the library for violating behavior policies in one way or another.
Of those restricted patrons,
- 38 percent displayed disruptive behavior,
- 16 percent were deemed under the influence of alcohol or other controlled substances, and
- 16 percent broke the law or were attempting to break the law through theft, buying or selling drugs or stolen property, or fighting.
- 13 percent were violating other library rules by misusing equipment or refusing to leave at closing time;
- 10 percent were cited for trespassing because they returned to the library during their restriction period;
- 8 percent were repeatedly sleeping on library premises; and
- less than 1 percent were restricted for inappropriate sexual conduct.